The Volunteer Screening Process
The order of the steps in the application and assessment process can vary from agency to agency, but the following is a general overview of the BBBS Muskoka screening process. You, the volunteer applicant:
- Complete an inquiry by filling out the form below or calling our Mentoring Coordinator at 705-644-9914
- Chat with our Mentoring Coordinator, Tanya, for 10 minutes to learn more
- Complete the volunteer application online or using the form sent to your email
- This includes your references, a media release and a confidentiality agreement!
- Submit an application for a Vulnerable Sector Check with your local police detachment
- Tanya will provide a letter of support so, there is no cost to do this!
- Participate in a one-to-one interview with Tanya virtually or in-person
- Other staff members may join this process as well!
- Successfully complete at least TWO training sessions
- Further training may be required depending on the program!
- Participate in a home assessment
- This is to make sure it is safe for your mentee to visit!
Next, you enter the matching process as soon as a good fit for you and a mentee is available!
The Matching Process
Similar to the application and assessment process, the matching process can vary from agency to agency and from program to program, but in general:
- The Mentoring Coordinator, Tanya, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, assesses the level of fit for the mentees waiting
- Assessment categories include location, interests, strengths, areas of growth, etc.
- The family, young person and volunteer are given the option to attend a match introduction to see if they spark a connection
- All participants meet with Tanya for a short meeting to get to know each other better
- All participants take time to reflect and think about if they would like to be matched over 2-3 days
If everyone wants to move forward with the match, the volunteer, parent/guardian and young person start planning their first official meeting!
VOLUNTEER Inquiry Form
Please provide your basic information and we will forward it to the agency for follow up